Sunday 26 November 2023

Canadians visiting Europe will soon need a permit — not a visa

Canadians visiting Europe will soon need a permit (not a Visa).

Global News on Youtube has the story.

Canadians planning to visit Europe next year will have to pay for a travel authorization (not a visa) as the European Union looks to strengthen its border security measures.

Starting in 2024, Canadian passport holders will be required to apply online for the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) if they plan to stay in any of these 30 European countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Currently, Canadian citizens can enter Europe without any travel permit or visa and stay for up to three months. However, if their stay exceeds 90 days, a visa is required.

From next year, Canadian travellers will have to fill out a form with their personal information, travel document details, level of education and current occupation, details about the intended stay, as well as any criminal convictions.

1 comment:

  1. Some Canadians think that if someone makes them pay a processing fee, Canadians will retaliate by also charging them a fee to enter Canada, but they won't do any of the security checks. (Just wave them in and take the money.)

    Cost of a so-called ETIAS Travel Authorization:

    As of July 2023, the ETIAS application fee is €7 ($10.15 CAD). It's free for anyone under the age of 18 or over the age of 70. But don't worry, it doesn't come into force until 2024.

    What’s the Purpose of an ETIAS Travel Authorization?
    To visit any of 30 countries in and around the European Union next year, Canadian travelers must get the new ETIAS authorization.

    ETIAS stands for the European Travel Information and Authorisation System. It was announced by the European Commission in November 2016 and was implemented into legislation in September 2018.

    People Who Need ETIAS Authorizations​
    You will need an ETIAS Authorization if any of the following apply to you:

    - You’re not a European Union national.
    - You’re a citizen of any country, including Canada whose nationals don’t currently need a visa for a short-term stay in a European Union country.
    - You don’t have a residence permit or card issued by any of the European countries that require ETIAS.
    - Some travelers may be exempted from the requirement for an ETIAS travel authorization, so check before you apply.